Thursday 15 October 2020

A Little Fawn Sleeps

What can you see outta your eyeballs right now? Are you in bed, on a bus, in a car, in class, at home, on a starship, in a Particle Fixer 3000 swooshing your molecules on the red-eye home to Mars?

Two weeks on the dead Earth looking for survivors. We found one. One little fawn, still red pelted, quivering in the burnt bush. How the hell it survived the fire I dunno but when it saw me it leaped right up into my arms and nuzzled its muzzle into my chest and pushed its nose under my armpit. I could feel its heart beating like two-forty and the poor thing shook like a leaf.

That's all we found this time. So I rest my head against the bulwark and watch the neutrinos pass through me. Down below in the hold, sedated and hooked up to an IV, the little fawn sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment