Monday 11 May 2020

Who's In Charge Here?


I love writing because I'm in command.
It's a messy world out there and I control practically none of it. I do control the marks on the page, though, don't I?
I don't control my subconscious or the collective unconscious which work together through me. Nor do I, in fact, control the words themselves. Not really. They spill forward like they came into life somewhere between my eyes and my brain.
The rules of grammar and syntax dictate some of my sayings, as does my whole educational background. All the teachers I had lean over my shoulder. Each one has their say in what word comes next.
But I'm the CEO, COO, or maybe MD. I'm one of those suit-and-tie acronyms that's actually pronounced Fuck You. I'm in charge here and you're not.
But as I look around, it starts dawning on me that the only actual decision I make is to sit down and let the Writing do its thing through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment