Monday 5 July 2021

Missing the Mark

I believe in God and Science.

I believe in empirical-repeatable-evidence-style truth. And I believe in gut-level-catharsis-inducing-narrative-based-metaphorical truth. Two different things but we use the same word because actually, they aren't different things.

Science and religion are the same thing. They're our best questions to the answer 42. Is this the way? Is storytelling the way to the truth? Yes. Is the scientific method the way to the truth? Yes. Is war and murder the way to the truth? No – even though they're some of our most popular routes.

What about denial and depression? Same as war, I'm afraid. There really are only two ways of going about pursuing truth – religion and science. Religion is storytelling at its best. Science is observation at its best.

I like making grand statements. When you write something down, it's one of the better ways to see if it's true or not. Quite often, I'll say something just to see how it sits.

No comments:

Post a Comment